So, I'm working on a new quilt. I'm a member of the Toronto Modern Quilt Guild, and all the Modern Quilt Guilds were invited to participate in a fabric challenge courtesy of Riley Blake Designs. This is my first time doing one of these things, but I love the concept. We are all given a little stack of free fabrics (is there anything I like better than free fabric? Probably not.) and invited to make a project with them. There are very few restrictions (you can make anything you want, it just has to be quilted. You need to use some of the free fabrics, but you don't have to use them all. You can add in any solids you like, etc) so it feels like a really nice, open opportunity. And I've had a few ideas jangling around in my brain, waiting for the perfect opportunity to be used. So I did a bit of mapping out, and a bit of cutting and here is a preliminary layout. I like the shapes and the movement in this. But we actually got rather small amounts of fabric (one eighth of a meter), not that I'm complaining, but it does limit the size of your final project. So I decided to add a few more solids in there, in different shades of the yellow/blue/orange fabrics, just to see if I could expand it all somewhat. I also re-oriented it a bit, and it worked out pretty nicely. I took these pictures a little while ago and I've since changed it up a bit more (different shades of solids, even larger total number of pieces) and made it even bigger and I'm really happy with how its going. I spent a lovely evening sewing away at it while listening to Craft Sanity Podcasts, and maybe tomorrow when I have more light I'll take some pictures and show you where its at currently.
All right, now I'm off to bake a quick batch of cookies (for L.D.'s school lunch tomorrow) and go to bed. Even though I want to stay up and keep sewing. Sigh. Ah well, tomorrow is another day!